Our brake and mechanical services
About your car's brakes
What are they?
Your car’s brake system is its most critical safety system and you should always get it checked if you suspect it has any problems. A properly operating brake system helps you to ensure safe vehicle control and operation under a wide variety of conditions. The roads in South Africa have lots of dangers that require safe and effective braking. Brake Super Service makes sure that your brakes are working optimally
What do brakes do?
When you push your brake pedal, the force generates pressure in the brake master cylinder. This pressure then flows through the hydraulic lines and hoses to the wheel cylinders and brake calipers, forcing the brake shoes against the drums (drum brakes) and the brake pads against the rotors (disc brakes). The resulting friction from this slows the vehicle and is relative to the amount of force you have applied at the brake pedal.
Typical brake wear and tear
Brakes are a normal wear item for any car and eventually they’re going to need replacement. You should avoid letting your brakes get to the “metal-to-metal” point of wear, which usually means complete disc or drum replacement. Several factors that affect brake system wear include:
• Driving habits ... heavy braking etc.
• Operating conditions ... temperature etc.
• Vehicle type ... A heavy 4x4 can get through brake pads quicker than a small city car
• The quality of brake lining material ... cheap brakes are not always best!
Some symptoms of bad or worn brakes
• your car pulls to one side during braking
• The brake pedal pulses when you apply the brakes
• The brake pedal feels “mushy”
• Noise when you step on the brake pedal
• Repeatedly needing to add top up brake fluid